DIY self watering container

1  |  2  |  3  |  »  |  Last [ Go to bottom  |  Go to latest post  |  Subscribe to this topic  |  Latest posts first ]

Pepper_Rancher

44, male

DIY self watering container

from Pepper_Rancher on 04/05/2015 03:51 PM

Here is a video tutorial showing how to make the DIY self watering container that will grow huge pepper plants.
I showed the video of the plant on gardenweb last year and got lots of requests to make a tutorial, so here it is :)

https://youtu.be/i3TmEFZIq3s

pic1.jpg

Reply Edited on 04/15/2015 03:34 AM.

Backwoodswife
Admin

41, female

Re: DIY self watering container

from Backwoodswife on 04/05/2015 04:34 PM

Thanks for sharing that video, I'm going to check it out as soon as my computer wakes up:) That is a beautiful pepper plant! Are they Fataliis? Is this just one seasons of growth? I'm going to have to try it with one of mine:) Thanks again for sharing!

Pepper_Rancher

44, male

from Pepper_Rancher on 04/05/2015 05:00 PM

The plant was purchased from CCN labeled as "Ghost pepper".  When I contacted them explaining that it turned out yellow, they assured me that it was a natural mutation from the ghost pepper seeds that they got from New Mexico Chile Pepper Institute, and that they were indeed ghost peppers...
So either they lied to cover up their mislabel and they are fatalli... or they are yellow ghost peppers.
This is just one season of growth, and it was a neglected almost dead plant mid-season when I put it in there.

PS
Thumbs up on the video if you like it :)  It will help my youtube gardening channel out :)

Reply Edited on 04/05/2015 05:04 PM.

zackey

66, female

from zackey on 04/05/2015 09:24 PM

Pepper Rancher, you remind of a story i rarely tell. When I worked in a wholesale nursery, me and my partner, Pat were in charge of filling orders. We were pulling tomato 6 paks. We got down to our last pack and we were short two tomatoes. I grabbed 2 yellow fruiting tomatoes to fill the order. Maybe something like that happened to you? Also I know kids and adults mix up the labels in the garden centers.

Pepper_Rancher

44, male

from Pepper_Rancher on 04/06/2015 11:31 PM

Yeah, I understand mistakes (or even something like you described) can easily happen.  But they went to such detail in their response to me that it seems like it must be true (OR they are pathalogical liars!)
It was a pretty long letter they wrote back to me, I think I still have it but im not sure...

katjaqu

-, female

from katjaqu on 04/07/2015 01:18 AM

Thanks for posting this!!

Backwoodswife
Admin

41, female

from Backwoodswife on 04/07/2015 10:14 PM

Loved the video, tried to like it but not sure it worked, subscribed to your videos though:) One question, did the roots fill out the top of the tote? Just wondering if a plant of that size could be grown in a smaller version of this type,
if you are using hydro nutes in the water.

Pepper_Rancher

44, male

from Pepper_Rancher on 04/12/2015 01:49 AM

The roots spread out considerably.  I have a smaller version of the same design for a 5 gallon bucket.  It makes smaller (but still super productive) plants.  You can see them in the video that shows the plant towards the end, and here are some pictures too.

photo_1.jpg
photo_2.jpgphoto_3.jpgphoto_4.jpg

katjaqu

-, female

from katjaqu on 04/13/2015 08:10 PM

I really love your pepper plants!
Do you dehydrate peppers for pepper powder or do you use them for salsa?

Pepper_Rancher

44, male

from Pepper_Rancher on 04/14/2015 12:54 AM

Ive tried a bit of everything.  Frozen in vacuum sealed bags, dehydrated, salsa, hot sauce, pepper jelly, fresh, etc.
I also sold a lot of the best quality ones fresh on the internet via USPS priority mail.

:)

1  |  2  |  3  |  »  |  Last

« Back to forum